Go on, make yourself happy - have an affair!

Friday, November 13, 2009

Excited About the New Google Chrome OS

I don't exactly know why I'm this excited but I am and I feel a bit silly for only writing about this now. On the 8th of July, Google formally announced that they will be launching a new project that should complement the successful release of Google Chrome: The Google Chrome Operating System. This is the company's new approach in an attempt to redefine user experience by showing the world how an OS should work and how it should be. I think what's great about this is that the Google Chrome OS is will be open source. I'm a really big GNU Linux fan and I've been running the thing for a few years, but my only problem with it was that it didn't run a lot of the programs that I wanted to run.
My excitement for the Google OS is that it can potentially run most of the popular file extensions and most games that can't run anywhere else but windows. The main foci of the new OS are to be fast, simple and secure. The company doesn't want it to be heavy on RAM so the design aims to be as simple as possible. It's sensitive to the internet browsing community so what it wants is to get you on the web in the fastest way possible and then get out of your way. The User Interface won't be bulky and troublesome and allows most of the action to take place online.
Just like the browser, the OS will be built to be safe from viruses, malware and security updates. What I believe to be its best feature is actually what I fear will be its most limiting feature. This is obviously its focus on the improvement and redefining of the user's internet experience. Because of this focus, it will allow all web-based applications to work automatically without the installation of whatever. Application developers will have an easier time when they can have an easier time working with online technology. The programs won't just be limited to the system, but it will also be available on Windows, Mac and GNU Linux.
What this tells me is that because this will cater to the internet user's market, it will have less capability to run programs that do not depend on the internet for functionality. I'm thinking if it can run a modeling program or a game like COD 4. Time will tell if my speculations will prove to be something worth considering but lot's of things can happen. Despite being targeted at netbooks, I think that several desktops all over the world will be running the open source OS or at least giving it a try. The OS simply screams simplicity. Users will have an easier time with their computers and they hopefully won't have trouble configuring settings or needing software updates and upgrades.
If you want the full article of the official announcement, you can check it out at the Google blog. Welcome to the open source community Google.
The author of this article Jego Goldstein is a Computer Analyst who has been testing and developing software for several years. He advocates the need for computer literacy in society and strives to make technology more user friendly. Check out his blog.

No comments: